Weddings at Christ Church
How exciting that you have decided to get married!
"Marriage is a gift of God in creation
through which husband and wife may know the grace of God.
It is given that as man and woman grow together in love and trust,
they shall be united with one another in heart, body and mind,
as Christ is united with his bride, the Church"
So starts the marriage service we use in the Church of England. Your wedding day is an important event but it is also the start of a new life together.
It is both a legal ceremony and a celebration of love and the gift of marriage.
Here are some things to think about before you contact us about marrying at Christ Church:
- you have a right to be married in your parish church if you have lived here for a certain time - do you live in the parish?
- if you do not live in the parish you need to establish a connection - do you have a connection and can you prove it with documentary evidence?
- there are different processes if you are not a UK national - do you have a UK passport to prove your nationality?
- if either of you have been married before it is possible that you may not marry in church - has one of you been married before?
- there are many preparations to make for a wedding - have you set a date that gives you sufficient time to marry?
- you are planning to make a significant lifelong commitment to your partner in the eyes of God - what would help you prepare for this?
- a Christian wedding is an expression of your faith - come and join Christ Church in worship and join the fellowship.
What should I do next?
Come and join us at a Sunday service and make contact with Doug our Vicar who would love to talk to you and get to know you so that we can guide you through the process of getting married here at Christ Church.
Further information about a Church of England wedding can be found at