LIVING IN LOVE AND FAITH
LIVING IN LOVE AND FAITH is the learning project launched by the Church of England in 2020 regarding matters of being human, marriage, sexuality and gender.
In February 2017 report from the House of Bishops presented a report to General Synod that proposed a teaching document that would:
- Welcome: Affirm the place of lesbian and gay people in the life of the Church, making
their voices heard both within the document and in the life of the Church.
- Repent: include penitence for the treatment some lesbian and gay people have
received at the hands of the Church.
- Build Community: Consider the significance of community and relationships of all kinds in human
flourishing, especially in the context of modern manifestations of individualism.
- Support singleness: Affirm the role of single people and solitaries, as well as those in committed
relationships (including marriage) within the life of the Christian community.
- Build friendship: Include a theological exploration of friendship, including the possibility of
covenanted friendships, and not just sexual relationships, affirming what is
good about friendships.
- Explore marriage: Explore the meaning of marriage within society, the family, and the Church
and consider marriage in terms of vocation.
- Affirm Christian marriage: Reaffirm our current doctrine of marriage as between one man and one
woman, faithfully, for life.
- Consider equal marriage: Explore the distinction that has opened up between the state’s conception of
“equal marriage” and the Church’s doctrine of Holy Matrimony, and consider
the implications of this.
General Synod "refused to note" the report.
Instead of a teaching document from the Bishops, Living in Love and Faith emerged as a set of resources to allow churches to explore the issues currently being debated for themselves.
The workshops below ran in the Autumn of 2021. These resources are available for anyone to use if you would like to. If you have any questions about how to run this as a course please contact us for details.
For more information about the Living in Love and Faith project see the Church of England website and search for Living in Love and Faith under the resources tab. There are many more free resources on the LLF Learning Hub (registration required).
All the Christ Church course materials are available by clicking on the images below.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE COURSE THAT WAS FOLLOWED BY MEMBERS OF CHRIST CHURCH TO EXPLORE THE ISSUES RAISED BY LIVING IN LOVE AND FAITH. IT DRAWS ON THE LLF RESOURCES AS WELL AS OTHER MATERIALS. THIS WAS WRITTEN FOR CHRIST CHURCH PURLEY AND IS NOT OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED BY LLF. IT USES SOME OF THE RESOURCES IN THE OFFICIAL LIVING IN LOVE AND FAITH COURSE BUT IS NOT THE SAME AS THAT COURSE.